Thursday 13 May 2010

Accessability for dyslexics

If you are not dyslexic and you don't know someone who is, it is difficult to fully appreciate the challenges facing them. And it can feel sometimes that the 'dyslexia excuse' is being thrown around too freely. So let me share this with you, it may help.

My 12 year old son was diagnosed with dyslexia at 6 1/2 years and has had much support and encouragement. He explained that he had to complete some revision on a special school website. (Great, I said to myself - revision!!) Later that evening I asked him how it went. He shrugged his shoulders, 'I couldn't get on the website.' I asked him why. 'I must have the wrong password.' Little bells were sounding in my head. 'What is the password?' I asked and he told me it was 'compass'. 'How did you spell it?' I asked. 'Well, I tried 'cumpus' and then 'cumpas' and it doesn't work.' He paused. 'I guess I'm spelling it wrong, eh?'

I am sure at some stage this password was provided to the class in written format. But with the passage of time... It's tough being dyslexic. We were just pleased that at least he tried twice, and we then bemoaned together, once again, the idiosyncrasies of the English language.

No comments: