Saturday 10 July 2010

Struck Off?


I couldn't believe it. I had done it again. I had missed the one appointment I had to keep. I only had to take the kids to the dentist. I knew I couldn't miss it, having already missed one. I just stood there, shaking my head in disbelief as I read the ominous words: ‘You and your family will be removed from our list…’.

Have you any idea how difficult it is to find a dentist on the NHS these days? Well, other mums have told me it is. Now, my kids teeth will rot. What about orthodentists? I had blown it. I had seen the entry in my diary that morning (yes, I looked at the diary!). I told my husband at breakfast that I had to take the kids to the dentist when they came in from school (yes, we actually converse in the morning - only the essential stuff!). I had imprinted it in my memory banks. And I totally forgot!

Am I going mad? Have I lost it? Surely this puts me in that list of ‘worst mums’. Racked with guilt, I made the phone call. I was going to make every excuse under the sun, but you know, I would be outraged if my kids did that. So I explained to the dental receptionist, ‘I’m sorry, it was in my diary, and I told my husband that morning but…’



There was a pregnant pause at the other end. I held my breath. Should I talk? Should I cry? Should I say sorry again? Finally the voice spoke, ‘We appreciate your call Mrs W,' she paused (and I thought, 'Let's just get this over with!') 'but we don’t have any appointments now until next month…’ I wasn’t listening any more. I played her words carefully over in my head again. She was keeping us. We were still on the list. Joy coursed through my veins and then relief. I returned to the conversation just as she added proudly, ‘and we have this new system now where we text the day before your appointment.’ I was glad I told the truth and I shall never miss another appointment again (I was touching wood with fingers crossed when I said that!).

No comments: